Friday, June 15, 2007

I Love My iPod

The iPod has all but replaced the radio for me. I don't make any apologies, because in these mountains it's hard to get - and keep - a good radio station tuned in. And how many times can you listen to "I Love This Bar" on 99.9 without going a little bug-eyed?

It's possible to download podcasts that have video, but I just download audio podcasts. I plug my iPod into my computer and drag and drop the selections onto the iPod, which will hold around 30 hours of audio. My iPod has ear phones that still allow me to hear traffic around me while I'm driving. Partly that is because I'm not into listening to music on my iPod. I prefer interviews. Here are my favorite podcasts and where to get them:

This American Life (http://www.thisamericanlife.org)
The Story (http://www.thestory.org)
The World Technology Report (http://www.npr.org) -- I think that's where you go.
Don Carlin's Hardcore History (Find it at http://www.podcastalley.com, along with lots of other podcasts. You have to sort through the junk to find the jewel.)
The Manager's Toolbox (find it at podcastalley).

I have an iPod Shuffle, which you can order online for about $79. The Shuffle doesn't have a screen to help you make selections, but you can play your library one selection after the other (instead of randomly) or skip forward or back to the next selection at any time.

Give it a try. You'll be amazed how much time you spend in the car once you start listening to your pod and realize how much good programming you can get through. And you'll be grateful that you're not singing along to "I Love This Bar," for the thousandth time.

5 comments:

The Wards said...

Thanks for the Subaru tip--we definitely haven't ruled those out! Although then I'll look like every other young mom at Trader Joe's. :)

By the way, do you read our friends The Kurths's blog? (It's linked to ours). They just posted about how to listed on your ipod while mowing the lawn.

Hope the pregnancy is going well. Any names yet? We're a little stumped with that one, but time is flying by. Maybe we'll just end up using "Amalia" again. Too bad if it's a boy.

Anonymous said...

When it comes to iPods, I agree with this geek: http://geekswithblogs.net/lance/archive/2006/01/24/PocketPCtoiPod.aspx.

I like my truck, I like my girl friend, I like to take her out to dinner, I like a movie now and then....But I love this bar!

angela | the painted house said...

We love our iPod, too, but unfortunately it is used to listen to Spider by They Might Be Giants on a loop...on a loop...on a loop instead of something to enrich our minds.

James, Rachel and Tenzin said...

We REALLY need to make it to North Carolina....I'm dead set on a parent's weeken of drunkeness and atmosphere.

James, Rachel and Tenzin said...

By the way, that wasn't a misspelling of "weaken" but "weekend." If you notice, this was posted at 2:04am.