Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Word To The Guys



Everyone talks about the biological clocks of women. I don't think that such a thing exists for men in general (though I could be wrong.)

I always thought I would have children - but it has never been a deep-seated longing. More of an intellectually held belief, in the way one thinks: "One day I'll have gray hair, smoke a pipe, and routinely look over my stock portfolio." One might even call my prediction of children indifference. If I had fallen in love with a woman who didn't want children and I loved her, I probably would have married her anyway.

But for someone who has never longed to have children, I sure am glad I have them now. No matter what else I do in my life (and I still do plan to find the cure to at least a couple of fatal illnesses, maybe rescue a few cats from burning trees, and write a novel that will outsell all the Harry Potter books put together - to name just a few of my goals) these girls (and any tykes who might follow them) are hands-down the biggest accomplishments that I'll ever, er, accomplish.

Guys who are afraid of parenthood have a reason to be afraid. It's a huge adjustment to your life, and if you're still in love with a certain partying lifestyle, you're going to have problems. But if you're open to change and realize that life has many seasons, consider experiencing this one. It might be the best thing you ever did, too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are lucky, you have 3 sweet girls in your life.
Your a good dad!

angela | the painted house said...

Marian, you better watch out with all of Eric's sexy talk.

So sweet.

James, Rachel and Tenzin said...

The party lifestyle might end, but the party goes on. Only now, I'm not the one doing the puking :)

the larsons said...

James, you are a poster boy for something important -- proof that one can maintain one's coolness even in parenthood. As I was never technically cool (except in my own phantasmagorical mind) I'm not a good spokesperson. But you are! Keep bloggin.

Anonymous said...

We need some new pictures!