Monday, July 14, 2008

Traveling with the Kids

What's up strangers! This post is perfect for us because we have been traveling a lot the last month - one of my many excuses as to why I haven't blogged. This idea stems from my girl Erin's Mama Monday blog series. And if you go to her site, scroll down to the post that precedes her Mama Monday post to check out two beautiful pics of our girls. OK, traveling...

1) The last two trips we've taken (Wilmington and Alabama) we've put the girls to bed in the car and driven at night. Why didn't we think of this before? I think I feared the worst - getting them all off their schedule, them not going to bed when we finally arrived, etc. Let me tell you, it's the way to go. The worst part is US getting tired, but they both zonked out pretty well considering they're not in their comfy beds. And for this heat-hating mama, it was a lot cooler too.

2) I let Stella pack a toy box (canvas storage thing) full of stuff for she and Meg and it goes between them in the backseat. Tons of books, flash cards, her favorite stuffed animals, whatever will fit in there she can take. She can reach it and she's content with everything in there b/c she packed it herself.

3) Snacks. Granola bars, raisins, yogurt pretzels, fruit, juice boxes, water bottles, etc. The usual with maybe a few treats tossed in.

4) Tons of stops. If you do have to go during the day, you just have to be flexible. When we came back from Wilmington to the mountains, we stopped at a mall with a huge play area and food court where she could move. We stayed for two freaking hours. Of course I was ready to pull my hair out but it did make for a better second leg. That said, our nightime trip to the beach took about 7 hours. When we returned in the daytime, it took about 10. Somebody shoot me.

5) DVD player. We take it but don't bring it out unless we really need it. Out of the 30 plus hours we've spent in the car in the last few weeks, Stella watched one movie the whole time. The Aristocats - her favorite - and I must say I love it too. Anyway, she usually does pretty well but we certainly are not above using it when it will really make the trip more bearable.

Really, Stella for the most part is a kid who just loves to go places. We've had some great times over the past month together as a family just road trippin it. But I'm glad to be home.

Soon, pics from our beach trip and more updates...tired but happy around here.

Bye!

4 comments:

Anne said...

Those are *beautiful* pictures of the girls on Erin's blog!

She's so talented ... I want to have a baby just so she can photograph it!!

erin said...

Yay! SO glad you joined in this MM! I want you to know that Sarah is incessantly talking about going to Stella's house and "watching the cat movie". We need to make that happen!

Katy said...

Welcome home, Larsons!

Jeff said...

I guess they're not quite at the age where you can play the "Count the Gas Stations" game. Remember -- always choose Exxon. They have the most stations.