Thursday, November 09, 2006

Someone's Gotta Win

I feel a weird kind of disinterest after the tidal wave of political turnover on Tuesday. Usually I feel SOMETHING after a seachange such as this. I did vote, after all. Got up early and everything. Felt good about myself. Looked at my fellow voters with the formation of tears in my eyes.

I think the cause of my ennui is what I'll call the "Brittany Principle." It goes something like this:

At any given time, there is a young, perky, somewhat sexy pop singer hitting it big on the charts, selling a gazillion records, taking the country by storm. That is because someone discovered in the early 1980s (perhaps it was with Tiffany, or Debbie Gibson, or maybe even sooner - Blondie?) that pop singing blondes really get a lot of good attention. I'm sure there are a lot of blonde ingenues vying for this position. But that doesn't mean any of them are talented. In any case, here's the principle: just because something floats to the top, doesn't mean it has a lot of value. (eg. Even scum floats.)

Someone's gotta be the "singing blonde" of the day. Someone's gotta be Congressman. Possibly, we'll be laughing at them in People in a few years. Perhaps I'm just cynical. But we just elected a former (very bad) NFL quarterback in our district. He flunked out while with the Washington Redskins. Way back, he was the most heavily recruited high school quarterback before he went to college. But someone has to be the most heavily recruited quarterback....

It's all relative. I hope, as a country, we begin doing a better job picking our leaders. This might be enough just to get me more involved on the local level. If we're going to throw the bums out, it would be nice if we didn't simply replace them with more bums.

No comments: