Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thanksgiving Thoughts

When I was growing up, we always had Thanksgiving at one (or both) of my grandmother's houses. For the most part, the menus were basically the same: turkey, country ham, dressing (my family always used the word dressing, not stuffing - probably because we had it in a separate pan), green beans, candied yams, cranberry sauce, homemade cheese biscuits, mashed potatoes with gravy, collard greens with vinegar, and of course, pecan pie.

I just re-read that paragraph, and it sounds like I'm 80 years old reminiscing about the good old days. But given the fact that I LOVE food, it seems to fit just right.

Well, this year I'm cooking Thanksgiving for the first time. Our friend that we met in Peace Corps, Nerissa, is coming from Nashville with her new beau and her 3-year old son, Isaac. We've started the tradition of having Thanksgiving with friends, and so far I love it. So here's my menu, if anyone is interested:

homemade chex mix (eric's favorite)

roasted turkey breast
homemade mac and cheese
sweet potato and apple bake
rolls
green beans with lemon butter

pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream

We certainly have so much to be thankful for this year - a healthy family, a safe home, the beautiful mountains that we call home, and of course, all of you.

Happy Turkey Day!

No comments: