Thursday, February 01, 2007

Work, work, work

January 2007 was our best business month ever - we more than doubled our revenue from last January! We've already got 25 weddings on the books for this year, with more coming in every week. We're getting busier with our home and property videos too, and with the addition of our first full-time employee, we think more customized video projects are soon to follow.

Highs like this remind me why we started our own businesses in the first place. It's so satisfying to succeed when you've worked so hard. Don't get me wrong - it's still a struggle every day. But when our numbers consistently grow, and our employees seem happy, and our clients love their videos - it feels good to know that we're delivering quality products AND somehow paying the bills each month (though it's been VERY dicey more than once!). And best of all - no bosses!

I'm trying to really put in some time before this baby arrives, because I'm sure I will be little to no help for a few months until we get our rhythm down as a family of four. I'm working on my second newspaper insert for KARE, a local child abuse prevention non-profit. It's basically the organization's annual report, filled with photos, stories, blurbs, etc. that I'm supplying. I love working with the staff there, and I believe in what they're trying to do, so it doesn't even feel too much like work.

I'm also busy with editing work from the Center for Creative Leadership out of Greensboro, NC. Mainly taking articles and re-writing them for podcasting. They've also given me several pieces to edit down for publications all across Asia.

With our new hire, Eric has been able to be out selling and marketing, which is both what he's good at and what he enjoys. I swear that man could walk into a tee pee in Tibet and make friends with everyone there in minutes. OK, I don't know if there are tee pees in Tibet, but you know what I mean.

Stella is still keeping us on our toes. That kid doesn't miss a beat. We'll be having breakfast together, and she will commentate the entire meal. "Daddy drinking water." "Mommy's toast." "Tella's eatin toast too." I'm serious, it doesn't stop. It's cute, really it is, but there are very few quiet moments in our house these days. I guess that's how it's supposed to be, right? Today I said, "I love you, Stella." And she said, "Tella wuves mommy....so much."

For all her preciousness, she can certainly be a pistol sometimes. Today she slapped our dog in the face with an empty ziploc bag. Moments before, it was full of Goldfish, but she decided to dump them all out in the middle of our family room before hitting Kope upside the head with it. I don't know why I'm laughing as I type this, probably because I can't believe the ridiculousness of my life sometimes, but I promise, it was not funny.

That's it from Maggie Valley tonight - our dear friend Kristen is coming tomorrow and there's still cleaning to do.

Good night! And leave comments!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Tella stories. And I love to hear of your business success--but I'm not surprised. Here's hoping that 2007 continues to be a banner year for all of you (including Kope)!

Brent

angela | the painted house said...

Congratulations on mucho trabajo! What a blessing!