Monday, July 16, 2007

Pet Peeves

Pet Peeve #1:

Is waiting to find out the sex of your baby truly that strange? I cannot tell you the number of people that we've encountered who act like we are crazy for not finding out. It's really getting on my nerves. I mean, it's only been in the last couple of decades that it's even been an option to know. And technically, ultrasounds are for making sure the baby is developing properly, not to see what its wee wee looks like.

I'm not knocking anyone for wanting to find out, of course. But for us, it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't seem that outrageous, or granola, or insane, to want that moment of "it's a girl" or "it's a boy" to happen in the delivery room.

Pet Peeve #2:

I have gestational diabetes. Found out last week with only five weeks to go - bummer. But in some ways, it's been kind of a blessing. I've had to check my blood sugar 4X a day, and I've actually learned a lot about what to eat and what to avoid, and how much exercise can lower my numbers. I feel better than I have in 3 months, truly. I've been walking at least once every day since finding this out. I have tons of energy and am really getting excited to meet this little guy. Or girl.

Other than that, we're in the throes of potty training Stella, and it's going pretty well. She's pretty much mastered it at home, but going out is another story. Yesterday Eric took her out for the afternoon, and she had three accidents. At least he went prepared with many changes of clothes!

Business is busy but good. We're participating in the 48-hour film festival in Asheville this weekend (http://www.48hourfilm.com/asheville/), so that should be stressful, but fun too. We're re-doing our Stellar Media website, so I'll let you know when it's all finished. It's gonna look great.

That's about it from here. Hope everyone is well!

3 comments:

The Wards said...

Ward Pet Peeve #1--People who see my emerging belly while I'm holding Mali as well as are shocked that we're having kids so close together. I've heard all kinds of comments including "What were you thinking?" to "Wow, are you going to be busy!" to "Good luck with that!" and of course "Was that planned?" All of these are from complete strangers. How about just a smile and congratulations?

Yuck--gestational diabetes. But I'm glad to hear that you're handling it so well. Just wait, when you you meet your little guy/girl in person, everything is suddenly perfect. Our midwife let us look first to announce the gender and hearing Jonathan say "GIRL!" was probably the best moment of my life. Definitely a surprise worth waiting for!

Anonymous said...

I've never heard anyone say "you know what one of my pet peeves is? Gestational diabetes."

angela | the painted house said...

Sorry about the gestational diabetes. That can't be fun...but to read that you feel better than you have in 3 months is amazing and I'm happy to hear that.

One of my pet peeves: people who won't give the right of way to a very pregnant lady holding a two-year-old and the hand of a four-year-old. I've started pointing to my belly and demanding I go first. Rude, I know; but I do permit the elderly to go first.