Thursday, July 19, 2007

screech, not hoot

Owls, that is. In our neighborhood. A wise, elderly neighbor said they're not technically screech owls, but they sure do screech. In case you don't know, I hate birds. OK, a soaring bald eagle over the Rockies is fine, but little flitty birds, pigeons, birds in cages, and many others repulse me. I despise the ducks and geese at our local lake. I am a peace-loving woman, but I swear I want to shoot those bad boys with a BB gun when they hiss at me.

I'm not sure how I feel about owls. They are spooky, beautiful, ominous, and so unusual that I can't help but be intrigued. At the same time, they scare me to death. I took this photo through the screen in my bedroom window, because, quite frankly, I was scared he would fly at my head if I opened it fully. What if that owl got in my house?



Eric even set up his tripod and video camera tonight to get some footage of them. They are the talk of our street.

On another tangent, my best friend Brittain treated me to a pedicure, followed by a matinee showing of Sicko and a sushi dinner. What a great day spent together. She and I were convinced that the people doing our pedicures, who spoke Chinese to each other the whole time, were discussing how disgusting our feet were. Here they are, post treatment.



And here's a simple shot of our big girl in the bathtub. These days, she has to do EVERYTHING all by herself, including rinsing her hair like this.



That's it from here. Good night!

4 comments:

brittain and patrick said...

That is the nicest our have ever looked...or will EVER! What a lovely day and an even lovelier blog.

brittain and patrick said...

Sorry, I was referring to our feet. I'm an idiot sometimes....

angela | the painted house said...

I'm a little taken aback with your dislike for birds...but I am so with you on the owl thing. That dude looks creepy-amazing. I have not since any on our side of the mountain.

Although, I have seen wild turkeys. Do you want to shoot those with a BB gun?

Has it crossed your mind that word is out on the street of your bird hatred and all the little chickadees, ducks, geese, and others have hired this owl hitman--who is stalking your every move? It could happen.

the larsons said...

Angela,

you're forbidden to leave any more comments b/c now you've really got me freaked out. It does feel like the owl looks more at me than anyone else around. And I mean he stares deep into my eyes. OK, enough!