Sunday, December 09, 2007

Giving Up "Koobe"


Koobe (sounds like "co-pay") is the Gilbertese word for "coffee." When we found our dog on our island, we named him Koobe (spelling it Kope) because of his coffee-colored coat. Kope is a terrific dog and most people who like dogs and meet him agree. He has his moments, but all-in-all he's very obedient and loving - and clean. He's had, oh, one accident in his 6-year life.

When my uncle died in the States unexpectedly, he was there for me to hug on. He's a great running companion and stellar watchdog. He's tolerant of our girls, though he does snap at Stella when she pulls his tail (I don't blame him!)

Perfect dog. And as recently as three weeks ago, we were looking to give him away.



I've always been allergic to dogs - Kope included. So I naturally looked to him as part of the cause for me coughing and choking through much of 2007. Dusty buildings, yes. Mold in the basement. Certainly. An area of the country known for the largest diversity of flora in North America. Of course. But the only thing I could change easily was to find a new home for the dog.

And I did feel terrible. Choking on your own phlegm a few dozen times a day is a terrible way to exist. It wears you out - and it sounds really gross. I was reminded of my grandfather, a chain smoker most of his life. I've never smoked, ever.

It was strange that this should happen NOW. I mean, we've lived here over 4 years. Why now? I chalked it up to cumulative allergies. My body just couldn't take it anymore. My doctor prescribed a nasal spray - expensive, and not very effective. My worst coughing happened in the morning, right after using the spray.

So we identified several potential homes for Kope within our circle of family and friends. None panned out. We were having to consider strangers. Terrible.

And then something happened. I did one thing, and everything immediately got better.

I stopped drinking coffee. Not just regular, but decaf, too. I did it on a whim after a road trip in which I drank a lot of coffee and felt really terrible.

The coughing and choking stopped. After a couple of weeks, I thought I'd try to drink decaf -- big mistake. And on my birthday I tried half a cup of the real stuff - to almost immediate disasterous reaction.

It's too bad, because I really love coffee. I only started drinking it with any regularily about two years ago - which might account for that delayed reaction.

But I'd rather give up coffee than the dog named for coffee. I'll live without it. But Kope is here to stay.

6 comments:

Katy said...

I just read on the internet that coffee allergies can cause mania and delirium, and other schizophrenic like symptoms. Have those gone away as well? Ha-ha...maybe this is what is wrong with Tom Cruise!

The Jones Family said...

I am so happy to hear you don't have to get rid of Kope!!!!!!

Coffee, what a horrible thing to be allergic to.

See you at Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Koobe! I would like to see that sweet puppy again sometime.

Brent

Katy said...

Yay, Kope!!! I hope y'all have a wonderful Christmas! We love you all--including Kope--and hope to see y'all soon!

Anonymous said...

have you ever tried soy coffee? so glad you dont have to give away your friend/dog. Merry Christmas
julie ward

angela | the painted house said...

My condolences to you and the loss of your steaming cup of joe. Oh so sad.

Do you want a cat to go along with your dog?