Tuesday, December 04, 2007

20 (boring) tidbits about me

So I secretly read all of my friends' friends' blogs, and one that I checked recently had this post. Even though I don't know this person, it was still fun to read, so I thought I'd do one too - and I've been having major blog writer's block lately. Or maybe just major sleep deprivation.

So here goes:

1. I always thought I would get married when I was 29 and not have kids until mid-thirties or so. I've been married 7 years now, have 2 kids, and just turned 30 this year.

2. When we were Peace Corps volunteers in the Gilbert Islands, we listened to various animals (chickens and pigs, primarily) being killed daily. It quickly became just part of our lives there.

3. I have had salmonella and dengue fever, and when I came home from overseas, I had five parasites living in my gut.

4. My dad died of cancer just four years ago. I found out I was pregnant with Stella 2 weeks after he died.

5. I love cloudy, rainy days in the mountains.

6. I don't think either of my daughters look like me.

7. I hate birds.

8. I also hate animals like guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, ferrets especially - anything vermin-y like that.

9. I am a complete OCD neat freak - everything must have its place, which doesn't happen much with two little kids in the house. I've really had to dig deep to embrace the chaos.

10. Some of my best friends are from elementary school.

11. I dream of building a green-built home with environmentally friendly features - solar panels, radiant floor heating, bamboo floors, etc. etc.

12. If I could go anywhere in the world, it would be New Zealand.

13. I love country music. I also love hip-hop. Stella and I have our own rendition of SexyBack by Justin Timberlake - I've GOT to get that on videotape.

14. I love to cook.

15. I look forward to working for our company when these kids start school.

16. I want another baby. Yes, Meg's not even 4 months old.

17. My favorite clothing store is Old Navy.

18. I HATE hot weather. I wouldn't want to live anywhere warmer than here. Summer temps around here hover around 80 degrees.

19. Swimming laps is my favorite exercise. Not that I've done it in a while, but I love to do it.

20. I don't really like holiday decorating.

So there. Send me yours too!

4 comments:

Katy said...

Not so boring. I can relate to a lot of your tidbits...as I sit here surrounded by Christmas decorations...still in their box. And a bare Christmas tree.

erin said...

I'd be surprised if there's anyone who DOESNT read their friends' friends blogs! It's so addicting!

Your 20 tidbits are SO NOT BORING by the way. Anybody who can begin a tidbit starting with "when we were in the peace corps" constitutes a very UNBORING person.

Anne said...

I can only think of ten ...

1. I used to have a fantasy that I'd get married in 1998 and have a baby in 2000, so it would always be easy to know how old the kid was. But in 1998 I wasn't married and in 2000 I was dating a shiftless dude who certainly had no business fathering any kids, so I'm just SOL on that whole plan at this point.

2. If I could go anywhere in the world, it would also be New Zealand! Well, Australia/New Zealand, because how are you going to get that close without doing both?

3. When my friends get pregnant I always act all happy and excited, but secretly I am raging with jealousy inside ... BUT

4. I don't really *love* kids all that much, so I don't think it's so much that I want to be pregnant and be a parent, I think it's just that I want the social validation of being married and pregnant.

5. I hate the Olympics. I think they're a stunning waste of money that could be better spent on schools or feeding the poor.

6. Despite what the Supreme Court says, I don't believe in the concept of a "hate crime".

7. I, too, love to cook!

8. I have never had any weird diseases. Thank God.

9. Hunter S. Thompson shot himself on the fifth anniversary of my mom's death from cancer.

10. I don't really like holiday decorating either. A few pieces of tasteful greenery here and there is all I require. Maybe some small, white twinkle lights. If I could go to a dude ranch or something for the entire month of December and skip Christmas altogether I'd do it in a heartbeat.

angela | the painted house said...

We have a lot of things in common! Except the parasite thing...at least that I know of. Another baby? If I could be guaranteed another girl and skip that whole 9-months pregnant thing, then, yes, I want another baby, too.