Friday, September 19, 2008

The Most Important Thing for a Young Marriage

We're in Wilmington for the wedding of two very good friends, and I'm just meditating on how Marian and I have made it this far - and this well.

I think it mainly boils down to believing that our marriage is strong enough...

...to survive bringing up issues that might rock the boat. We're not afraid to voice them, because we know it's not going to snowball into divorce.

...to survive the things that happen to us that we can't control, like deaths in the family, insanity in the family, rough financial times, kids....

...to survive the ups and downs of emotion and sentiment. I'm not only unattractive much of the time - I'm often downright disgusting. If I had to look good for my wife on a continual basis, I'd be in big trouble. Unconditional love is a godsend for marriage.

Many couples break-up because they are afraid they are going to break-up. Approach with fearlessness the things that get in the way of your love, and the two of you will prevail. And every time you are successful at it, you will find yourselves ever stronger.

1 comment:

angela | the painted house said...

Good advice. Never let things fester--better to face it and deal with it!

Marian, do you ever worry that all these mommy bloggers might discover Eric's sensitivity here on the blog and plot to kidnap him for their own evil pleasures? Seriously, dude, I can't imagine Clayton writing some of the sweet stuff you do out here for all eyes to see. That's so cool!