Wednesday, January 02, 2008

eBay, and Why Coke Makes Me Want to Pee - "It's Hydrating!"

Judging by a lack of response to my initial blog about eBaying Original Snow Village collectibles (come-on, doesn't this excite you?!) few will care to hear my final report, but here it is: I sold all nine pieces and, even after paying eBay those "nickle-and-dime fees that really add up" I cleared about $75. Now, was $75 worth the time I spent taking all those photos and packaging the pieces so they wouldn't break in the mail? Uh, no. But it was fun to an extent, and I learned how to use eBay.

I was delighted to see the Starbucks piece go for $152. The Coca-Cola piece only went for $50 -- I was a bit surprised, because some people spent more than that for Coke sweatshirts in the 1980s. Incidentally, Coke really gets on my nerves. 1. They have language on their cartons that "hydration" is provided by their sodas -- they even have a webpage dedication to touting the hydration virtues of their drinks. Talk about spin. It reminded me of ... 2. ...when I actually paid to spend time in the Coca-Cola Museum in Atlanta years ago. Now, we all know that Coke was called Coke because in 1900 or so cocaine was one of the minute ingredients. Ah, but that's not mentioned at all in the museum. Instead, the man who founded the company "just liked the look and sound of 'Coca-cola.' " (Perhaps this is why we should not have private companies owning and managing public libraries - the newest rage?) Please join me for a boycott of Coca-Cola, the unapologetic Evil Ministers of Disinformation.

4 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

I agree! I just recently saw this "hydration" claim on a 12-pack of Coke and it mad me so mad...like people need any more "encouragement" to fill their bodies with 30-something teaspoons of sugar. I enjoy a soda every now and then, but I clearly see it as a guilty pleasure with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. If I want hydration, then I'll have some water.

Congrats on unloading your snow village! Wow, $75, now you can go buy yourself ONE venti latte at a life-size Starbucks...that is, when you drank coffee for hydration and severe allergic reactions.

the larsons said...

hey , i love coke! even if i only allow myself one a month. does this mean I could use cocaine once monthly and not get addicted?

The Jones Family said...

I am a Pepsi Girl anyway!

Anonymous said...

Awwwww. Starbucks sold, but wait - what? $152?? No way we'd spend that - not even for Precious.