Friday, February 22, 2008

The Best Photojournalist I Know

If you are into photography or if you are not (together that encompasses most of you) you will be astounded by the photos taken by Ross Taylor. Ross was an intern at the Anniston (Alabama) Star when I was a staff writer there in the early 1990s. He had just graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill and was above and beyond most of the long-time photographers there. Ross went on to bigger and better things, and we lost touch until I bumped into him more than 10 years later at a party hosted by our dear friend Kristen Wall, a talented graphic designer. Ross' blog is good, but go to his website first. His stuff is raw, real, and emotional, without seeming staged or intentionally "in your face." You just get this impression that he's got the power of invisibility while he finds just the right moment and angle. He has won some tremendous awards and rightly so. I'm especially amazed by his Gary, Indiana, series and India series. Interesting to note they are not radically different in subject matter.

5 comments:

erin said...

Thanks for the link...I'll be sure to check out his work. I have to say I'm a little astounded that you would be praising a Tarheel on your blog though. :)

the larsons said...

Oh yeah! I have him well-trained. Stella too. She likes light blue better than dark blue.

The Jones Family said...

Let's go Tar Heels.

I love it!!!!

the larsons said...

Every now and then UNC makes a mistake and lets in someone really smart. But it is extremely rare. And even rarer when those exceptions graduate with half a brain. But, it does happen!

the larsons said...

Don't listen to him, people. He has the flu and is delusional.