Wednesday, August 13, 2008

BBC Calls Lezak's Win in 4x100m Freestyle

I missed this when it happened, but I'm so glad someone put the UK broadcast on YouTube. It's an amazing come-back, whether you care about swimming or not.



The commentators got one thing wrong: they attribute Phelps' jubilation to the fact he was able to rack up another gold in his chase of Spitz. But all I saw was team pride. He got more excited at this than any of his individual golds.

It's just way more fun when you succeed with a team.

I thought this was kind of cool:

"Everyone wanted to get a look at history, including the U.S. men's basketball team. Kobe Bryant, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony were among those cheering on Phelps from poolside seats. James posed for pictures with Phelps' mom."

It seems the NBA stars have come a long way in the past 12 years or so when they first began competing for the United States. One was interviewed and said that being in the Olympics was the highlight of his career, way better than having won an NBA final.

3 comments:

erin said...

OH WOW! I didn't see that the first time around. I'm so glad you linked us up!

angela | the painted house said...

I was going to comment on the John Edwards post...where are comments? Anyway...I was sickened all day when that news broke. Ick. $100,000? I hope that was some good hoochie-koochie because the video made gouge out my nearly lasiked eyes.

And, Eric, seriously, how sweet are you to your one true love? Marian, I hope you gave him a $100,000 hug for that! You two are so SWEET!

angela | the painted house said...

Oh, sheesh, I really screwed that one up. "because the video made ME gouge out my NEWLY lasiked eyes."