Wednesday, August 06, 2008

When You Are Insulted By Another's Birthday

Yesterday I heard Stella in another part of the house hyperventilating with sobs. I asked Marian later what that was all about.

"She was mad because I told her my birthday was coming first. First mine, then three days later, hers. She didn't like that one bit! She wanted hers to be first."

So, Stella, you don't like when you were born? I recall Bill Cosby's line to his son: "Son, I brought you into this world -- and I can take you OUT!" But I won't say that to her.

I will say that I'm grateful she was born on the last day of September. That's the only way I can remember there are 30 days in that month.

I'll let Marian find a recent photo of her to post here.

2 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Yeah, Ashton thinks it is a BIG deal that his birthday comes first in our family. Ah, to be young again.

And where's that picture of Stella?

Daisy said...

Too funny!

There's a great This American Life where they talk about parents and children and the things that get said (Alec Baldwin's phone message to his daughter is the third example.)

Anyway, one of the other examples talked about this guy who is usually extremely patient. One day though, he's beside himself and he says, "I could kill you and makes another one just... like... you."

A little scary, but you can't help but laugh when Ira says it.