Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cheering Oneself Up

What do you do to cheer yourself up? If I can get sunshine with regularity and a good run, I usually don't even need artificial cheering. But every now and then...

The problem is that I'm not a true businessman. Someone who really likes business has to be drawn, in some way, to war. Being in business and building your business aggressively means pushing the envelope and pissing people off -- and getting pissed off -- at times. I don't like conflict and I would surely not like war.

And business is also like a roller-coaster, the ups and downs of cash-flow and what-not.

I despise roller-coasters.

So what the hell am I doing? I don't know. It's not ALWAYS terrible - in fact, a large part of the time it is immensely gratifying and fun. I meet the neatest people doing the coolest things. But sometimes...

I get cheered up by looking at our work and dwelling - not on our shortcomings - but on what we are capable of and can accomplish. And, of course, spending time with family.

Sometimes, both things can happen at once, as with this video we produced. Prepare for Larson Girl Cuteness!

Hope it cheers up YOUR rainy day.

4 comments:

Katy said...

Yes, seeing my beautiful nieces did cheer me up today! Thanks and love you!

erin said...

First, let me say that YOU and your business are an inspiration to me. Seriously.

Second - DUDE! sign.me.up. That was awesome!

Lance said...

That was a great video. :)

angela | the painted house said...

What a fabulous video!!!! You people are so talented.

It takes all kinds to be successful--don't think you have to be a jerk! At least, not all the time. Self-employment is hard, no doubt about it. Self-employment goes back many generations in both mine and Clayton's family. I've seen the good and bad--but the good is SO GOOD. But, where am I going with this? Like I have some wisdom to hand out. I'm just a SAHM. Sigh. Bottomline is you rock it. I thought of Stellar Media today when I bought my WNC tomatoes at Whole Foods Market.

Anyway, I am now going to ponder the dual meanings of "sunshine with regularity."