Saturday, August 09, 2008

The eve of your first birthday



Oh my sweet Meg,


Has anyone ever been kissed as much as you are? Between me, your dad, your big sister, and even the dog, I would estimate that you receive upwards of 200 kisses each day. Each day! Multiply that by the 364 days you've been on this earth, and that's a lot. I don't have a calculator handy, but it's a lot, trust me.

This has been by far the fastest year of my life. It cannot be possible that exactly one year ago, I was packing and repacking my hospital bag, sweating and huge in the August heat, anxiously awaiting the next morning. I so hoped you were okay and of course I wondered what you would come out to be, both in gender and in personality.




The morning came early, and Dad and I got to the hospital around 5am. It was still dark outside. We walked in the hospital, Dad carrying my stuff, and we made one last bet. I bet you were a girl, Dad sure you were a boy. Yes! I won the bet!

As you were about to come out, at 8:35 am, the doctor told Daddy to announce to the room what gender you were. Some of the medical staff had never witnessed a birth where the sex was the surprise, so everyone was on edge. Dr. Matthews held you up - And then those beautiful words, "It's a girl!" I immediately started to weep. It was truly one of the two most spectacular moments of my life. Dad brought you over to me for us to meet, and I couldn't believe how beautiful you were, AND how much you looked like Stella! As they were taking you up to the nursery, the nurse started to laugh because you peed all over her.


And here you are, asleep right now in your crib, with your pink blanket (your bumpy, as it's called in the Larson house), your little music pillow, your nightlight and sleep machine on. It's cliche but it really feels like you've been here forever. You have brought even more joy into this family, making Stella a big sister and us the proud parents of two beautiful daughters.

So what are you like at age one? You make some of the craziest noises I've ever heard come out of a human being, seriously. You can clap, wave, say a few words like mama, dada, and uh-oh. Your favorite food is fruit, preferably blueberries. You love to hand toys to us, only for us to hand them back. You love walks in your stroller, baths, pictures of other babies, and rough play with your Dad. You give us really sloppy kisses before bed. And you really love me and Dad - other people, not so much. We won't get into that small personality trait that drives us crazy.


The first year is over, Meg, I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that you will be one year old tomorrow. It has been challenging to say the least, but it has been filled with more joy than I ever imagined. I cannot wait to enjoy many more years with you, my brown eyed girl.



Love,
Mom

6 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

Oh, Marian, this is so sweet! And, yes, she does make some fun noises! :) I love it!

angela | the painted house said...

Also...I just love your slew of posts lately! What has gotten into you two???

Daisy said...

I like the slew of posts, too!

the larsons said...

Happy Birthday, Meggles! We won't be complaining about your need for us long enough. It's wonderful having a -- I almost said baby -- in the house. But you're not a baby anymore. I'm proud of all you've accomplished. Now get a hobby and let us have our own space! Love, Dad

erin said...

Happy birthday you sweet girl.

The Jones Family said...

1 year already!!! Meg we love you so much. We can't wait to get you and Lily together in person. We think she looks like you!!